Sunday, October 4, 2015

I'm not 1 in 4.

I'm not 1 in every 4 women. 

There's only one me. 

My child is not 1 in every 4 babies. 

There is only one Isaiah. 

I understand the need to draw attention to miscarriages, stillbirths and infant loss...I do. I understand that it may feel as though shining a light on just how often this happens can empower the 1 in 4 women to speak out about something that the general population feels is taboo. A part of me wants to take part in honoring my son by standing on the social media platform and shouting statistics...but he's not a statistic. He's my son. 

He only had one Mama that carried him for 9 short months. Only one who dropped his lifeless body onto her lap as she screamed. Only one Mama set up his nursery, making sure everything was perfect for his arrival. Only one Mama tore it down. Only one Mama craved nachos and apple juice every night for dinner. Only one Mama was unintentionally starving herself as she pushed away her meals.  Only one Mama smiled every morning when she would awake to his face. Only one Mama opened her eyes in the morning and would hold her breath as she opened the nursery door praying it was all a dream. Only one Mama read him the Bible. Only one Mama searched those pages for answers as to why. Only one Mama would talk him through middle of the night tummy aches. Only one Mama cries out to him when she's alone. Only one Mama gave him life and only one Mama's life was forever changed. 

Only one Mama will take her last breath with a hesitance to leave this world and an excitement of the boy that waits for her. Only one little boy will come running into her arms. 

While miscarriages, stillbirths and infant death are worthy of speaking out about, we aren't numbers. We are people, with our own unique, heartbreaking, life changing stories. You are more than 1 in 4. Your child(ren) are more than 1 in 4. 

I love you Mama's Mans. Until we meet again. 💙 

1 comment: