Monday, October 27, 2014

911 Days Late

Some people come into your life, just to teach you how to let go.

Holding on to things is an endless struggle in the mind of a grieving parent. You never win, you only try to justify why said object or emotion is worth holding onto. The tangible has become easier to let go of over time, frankly because I don't have the capacity to tote around an entire nursery of "what ifs".   But the emotions...the guilt and regret and anger and sadness and blame, those are very much attached, like extra limbs that I don't necessarily want to part with, for fear of not knowing how to function without them. There's this paralyzing fear that if I have no one else to blame, it falls on me. Babies don't just die. Someone needs to be held accountable.

On the one year "anniversary" of Isaiah's death, I faced two fears; getting a tattoo and reading his autopsy report. (I will have you know that I wasn't afraid of the pain of getting a tattoo, I'm just too indecisive.) The autopsy was sickening. The descriptive narration of exactly how his body was taken apart and looked at, much like a science experiment, made my stomach, the very place he was knit together for 9 months, turn.

But worst of all, the very thing that could have saved him, the epinephrine which was supposed to be administered intravenously was said to have been "laying loosely in his leg". The people I was so thankful for this entire year, the first responders who ran in while my world was collapsing as I quickly came to the realization that my feeble attempts at resuscitation weren't working, they were now to blame. As I huddled over my lifeless boy, my eyes met my daughter's, who despite my pleas and screams to go back to bed, witnessed what complete desperation looks like; yet we shared a hopeful unspoken moment, when they carried Isaiah out of the room. They knew what they were doing, I thought. They could surely save him.

But it was in black and white. The words on that paper didn't lie. The improperly placed IV placed my blame elsewhere.

There have been hundreds of conversations between myself and three little people who question what more could have been done, and I've always reassured them there was nothing, everyone did the best they could...but secretly, I didn't believe that. I don't want them to know a world where they question the expertise of emergency responders who they deem their heroes.

And now, coincedentally, 911 days later, I finally believe those empty words I've been speaking. Sometimes you meet people who inadvertently and unknowingly bring closure to a place you didn't realize was still so wounded. I never thought about the men who were most likely sleeping while I scrambled for my phone at 4:08 in the morning, who jumped up and met me in my darkest hour, and even for the briefest of moments, gave my family hope. Their presence was enough. It's safe to let go.

P.S. I love you Mama's Mans.

3 comments:

  1. As I read this of course my eyes fill with tears and my heart sinks. Just yesterday I looked at every picture of Isaiah I have that was taken during his short stay on this earth. As always I ask God "why" but I receive no answer. Not that he has to give me a reason but I ask anyway. I imagine how it would have been had he been given more time, days, weeks and years. I ask why not me instead of Isaiah and I have no response. I am certain that His reason far out weighs our thoughts and dreams. Love you Savannah Rochelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, letting go can be good when we put those things in God's hands. It brings us healing and a freedom moving us forward in what God has for us. Today, I let the Harley go, I'm sure there's rejoicing in heaven for both you and I... letting go and moving forward :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah, My Little Rock, God has blessed you with many gifts, writing abilities, intelligence in learning, beauty, and a great love for your children. You glorify God every time you share your experiences on Isaiah's Blog . . . And theres never a dry eye as it hits straight home ... right to the heart! Isaiah says, "Let it shine, Mama" keep sharing :) Keep walking forward Bright Eyes with your eyes focused upon the Author and Perfector of your Faith! I love you to the moon and back, and then some!!!

    ReplyDelete